Thursday 28 July 2011

choice - july 27

we seem to have lots of choices
the problem is that most of them are destructive and lead to dead ends
so - real choices - that i will define those as choices that lead to positive growth - even if painful in the short term - are few.
so how do we choose from an excess of options? I used to ask people who i thought knew more than me - but recently that has not worked because most people really believe they know something and have helpful advice but actually know next to nothing and should be quiet....Of course you can try the advice of the famous Frank Sinatra song "I did it my way"... if you are foolish enough that you know everything about everything in this crazily complex and changing world... not for me thanks. Or you can pray. and meditate. A lot. And wait for an answer that can come is any form; a note, an article/book, a thought mentioned by a friend... who knows. I am now opting for the this third approach, mostly, because I have tried the other two and they do not work well for me.

 So it is your choice - on how to choose. As you do so the concept of Franciscan friar Father William of Ockham called "Occams razor" is helpful: "simpler explanations are, other things being equal, generally better than more complex ones".
This, of course, leads us to the concept of simplicity - which is tomorrow's blog report.
Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment